2 OR 3 WORKING DAY TURNAROUND
£22 - £32 (INCL. VAT)
Instructions & Forms
chXout® is a trusted, dedicated provider of a reliable and accurate DNA sexing test for birds.
A valuable service for bird keepers, breeders and pet owners alike.
Bird gender determination was the very first service to be offered by chXout® when our rural idyll fortuitously led us to the sexing of peregrine falcons.
Knowing a bird’s sex can be important for breeding and health but also the management and conservation of avian wildlife. For a range of species and most hatchlings, gender determination from physical appearance is extremely difficult.
DNA analysis is a quick and reliable solution for determining whether a bird is male or female. The test is based on the amplification of W and Z chromosomes of the birds. Female birds carry one of each chromosome (ZW), while males carry two Z chromosomes (ZZ).
IN THE LAB
WHY SHOULD I CHOOSE A DNA TEST FOR MY BIRD?
- A DNA sexing test for birds can be carried out at any age.
- Birds are not subject to the stress of transport.
- Egg shell membrane sampling is non-invasive
- The service is available year round (out of the main breeding season, there may be slight changes to extraction dates and turnaround times).
- A DNA sexing test for birds can potentially determine the gender of those species that are monomorphic, meaning it is not possible to determine sex visually.
- Knowing the sex of a bird from a young age through testing of the egg shell membrane can be beneficial for understanding more about their health and behaviour and also for breeding purposes.
Please note: During bird season (April-July), the day the samples arrive at our laboratory is considered “day 0”.
As an example, if we received samples on a Thursday for a 3 working day turnaround:
Outside of bird season (1 August to 1 April), DNA extraction will take place on Tuesday every week, with results due on the following Friday. This will be at the regular service price of £22 (incl. VAT).
If you have any queries at all, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Bird sexing is achieved through DNA analysis of the following suitable sample submission types:
DRIED EGG MEMBRANE
For more information on suitable sample submissions types and their collection, please visit our Sample Submissions page.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- Collect your sample using our sampling instructions at the top of the page.
- Ensure that your samples are sealed securely and labelled correctly.
- Complete the relevant forms for your service. If you email them to email@example.com we will know to expect your sample(s) & it will help us to manage case loads in busy periods.
- Package your samples safely and include your client reference.
- Enclose your sample submission form if these have not already been emailed to us.
- Send your samples to us at: chXout®, The Durham Genome Centre, Park House, Station Road, Lanchester, DH7 0EX
- Your sample(s) will be checked and logged in upon receipt ready to be passed to the laboratory. If we note any anomalies we think you may need to be aware of prior to the start of processing we will contact you as to how you would like to proceed as soon as possible.
- A report will be emailed to you attached as a PDF document within your chosen turnaround time and as soon as the results are available.
Please ensure that the correct postage is used for the size of the letter or parcel to avoid any delays due to insufficient postage.
The Times found our story interesting
You can read all about it here: Paternity-test firm finds new prey in Gulf