Bird Species Identification
At chXout, we provide a bird species identification service through genetic analysis of DNA for species determination.
When a bird (avian) species lacks a distinctive plumage or other physical characteristics, DNA testing can assign species identity when the more conventional techniques of species identification prove inconclusive. Species identification is made possible by molecular analysis of the DNA found in the following sample submission types:
Dry Egg Membrane
After extracting, amplifying and analysing a region of DNA from one of these sample sources, we are provided with a DNA sequence for identifying a bird species. This sequence is then ran through a genetic analyser and matched against a database of known species, allowing for bird species determination.
Please see our bird sampling submissions page for information on how to collect suitable samples, whether that be egg membrane, feathers or blood.
Why should you choose chXout?
- We have processed many samples from a wide range of species (Bird Species List)
- Your results are available in 5 working days
- Quality assured DNA tests
- If no DNA is obtained the first time, we will repeat the experiment (free of charge)
- A professional and personal service
- Your final report is issued in .pdf form (easily downloadable and printable)
- Results certificate available (£15.00)
Sexing birds using DNA testing technology represents the following benefits:
Appropriate to birds of any age
Birds are not subject to stress of transport
Not limited by the time of year
Personal Details & Payment
Sample Submission Instructions