Sorry this service is temporarily unavailable.
Apologies for any inconvenience.
Falcon parentage testing is a powerful tool for breeders and owners, allowing the determination of clear genetic links between a chick and its parents.
Here at chXout, we can carry out falcon parentage DNA tests to determine genetic relationships for Peregrine falcons and Gyrfalcons.
If you require a parentage test for another species, please contact us.
How does parentage testing work?
Making use of a special technique known as Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR), we are able to copy all the regions of DNA we require for bird parentage.
We make use of PCR to copy multiple highly variable regions, known as short tandem repeats (STR’s). By copying and analysing these regions we are able to produce a DNA profile for each individual bird.
The same as with a paternity test, in bird parentage we are then able to compare the DNA profiles of the chick and mother to rule out the alleles inherited maternally (alleles are simply variations between individuals of sections of DNA).
By process of elimination, we are then left with the alleles corresponding to the alleged father, if we can then find a match we can conclusively say that the tested male is the biological father of the chick.
Why choose chXout?
- We are UK based only, so by contacting us you will be dealing with UK based customer service and laboratories. We will never send your samples to other laboratories or overseas.
- Results are available within 5 working days.
- Quality assured DNA tests.
- If we do not achieve a result the first time, we will repeat the experiment free of charge.
- A professional and personal service.
- Your final report is issued in a PDF format which is easy to download and print.
- We can also provide gender determination testing.
Why DNA testing?
- DNA testing can be carried out for birds of any age.
- The birds are not subject to stress of transport.
- Egg shell membrane sampling is non-invasive.
- The service is available year-round.
Falcon parentage pricing
£50 per profile
1 profile = 1 bird, 5 working day turnaround
(i.e. if we were to test 1 alleged father, 1 chick and the mother it would be 3 profiles at £150)